Position Title: Manufacturing Intern – Coaldale, Alberta – May 2024
Position Type: Temporary – Full-Time
Position Location: Coaldale
Requisition ID: 25378
At McCain Foods, we know the importance that food plays in people’s lives – the power it has to uplift and bring people, families, businesses and communities together. Guided by our purpose to bring enjoyment to people’s lives through great tasting food, we believe that working together with our teams, business and community partners will bring sustainable growth and positive change – today, tomorrow and for generations to come.
As a privately owned family company with over 60 years of experience, a presence in over 160 countries and a global team of 22,000 people, our values and culture are at the heart of everything we do.
Students like you are important to us. We aim to hire the best and brightest co-op students and interns, with the goal of having you join us as full-time employees upon graduation. Our ideal student candidate is passionate, collaborative, willing to learn and take initiative.
Why Join the McCain family?
- You aren’t “just a student” at McCain, you will be treated like any other member of your team
- Work with and learn from passionate leaders
- Our core values – Family, Authentic, Trusted and Quality – shine through every day, in everything we do
- Your experience at McCain is what you make of it – ask questions, network, take advantage of the opportunity to learn from our professionals
We are looking for a Manufacturing Intern to join us for a four month period, starting in May 2024.
This position will be based out of our Coaldale Location.
The Manufacturing Intern will support the North American Manufacturing Functional Department at McCain Foods while working in one of the core manufacturing functions and contributing to that team’s goals and objectives. The Intern is expected to gain a broad understanding of manufacturing processes and tools, potentially including process management, problem-solving, troubleshooting processes and equipment, and managing multiple operations within the production system.
The candidate will report in to the Production Manager, and will work closely with the production teams to learn everything there is to know about making delicious French Fries.
What You Will Be Working On
- Support core functionality of the manufacturing teams while looking for opportunities for improvement.
- Develop a general understanding of manufacturing functions and the major roles and responsibilities in those functional areas.
- Engage in all training, development and educational opportunities provided.
- Participate in cross-functional teams supporting manufacturing process improvement projects.
- Contribute to initiatives which reduce inventory, improve customer fill rates, improve on time performance and reduce freight costs.
- Apply creative problem-solving skills to assigned work; communicate insights and synthesize conclusions.
What You Will Learn
- Full understanding of how frozen potato products are made, starting at the farm and ending on your plate
- What processes are used to create and control our equipment
- Experience with presenting to diverse groups within the business
- Creation of a project with extensive data analysis
What You Need to be Successful
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Food Science, Supply Chain, Finance, Economics or related discipline
- Must have exceptional analytical skills and be able to work with complex data.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work with speed and accuracy.
- Must be a self-motivated, analytical, and independent thinker.
- Results focused. Bias towards action, able to synthesize multiple pieces of information and act decisively.
- Effective communication skills (both oral and written) with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent problem solving, organization and planning skills.
- High proficiency in tools used for data analysis. Excel is a must; Access a plus.
What You Can Expect from Us
- A supportive team that will encourage you to be and do your best.
- A safe and flexible working environment that promotes work/life balance.
- The opportunity to be part of meaningful work and projects.
- The opportunity to be part of our student community, to connect with students across North America.
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace. As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our business stronger.
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Family: Student & Graduates; Manufacturing
Division: NA Potato Manufacturing
Department: CDL Potato Production
Location(s): CA – Canada : Alberta : Coaldale
Company: McCain Foods (Canada)